Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-02-18 23:23:15

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Plugins inserting into toolbar - ideas needed...

Hi all,
  as you know, most plugins insert buttons or drop-downs into the toolbar.  As it stands it's not particularly great, for example, loading the CSS plugin will insert a bunch of drop downs into the toolbar, which more likely than not will break out of the toolbar and look terrible.

So what can we do about this, we need a better way of allowing plugins to insert items into the toolbar without breaking it. I think we need to firstly edit the plugins so that they only auto-insert into the toolbar if the end developer hasn't already inserted the relevant items into the toolbar, that would allow end developers to manually tweak the toolbar when plugins are involved.

Apart frm that, which means that developers will have to manually configure the toolbar (if they aren't happy with the initial results, which is quite likely) does anybody have any better ideas?  I thought about a dynamic toolbar (using floats, so if the toolbar is smaller then the "row" is wrapped), but experiments with that a couple of years back were not fruitful (worked well in Moz, but as expected IE had some issues which ultimatly meant I gave up on it) - has anybody tried that with more success?

James Sleeman

#2 2005-02-19 07:56:56

Angel

Re: Plugins inserting into toolbar - ideas needed...

For a number of reasons I don't think that floating menus will ever work 100% fine wit IE. What about putting the plugin options as a submenu out of the context menu?

Basic things should be at the toolbar, but things people use time to time could perfectly be in the context menu.

#3 2005-02-19 22:43:43

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Angel wrote:

For a number of reasons I don't think that floating menus will ever work 100% fine wit IE. What about putting the plugin options as a submenu out of the context menu?

Basic things should be at the toolbar, but things people use time to time could perfectly be in the context menu.

Mmmm.  Typically you would only put "shortcuts" to actions in a context menu, everything you can do in the context menu should be available additionally in a visible way (toolbar/menu/...).

James Sleeman

#4 2005-02-22 20:55:02

anzenews
Xinha Community Member

My 0.02 EUR:

I was writing an answer about placing another parameter to registerDropdown() (width) - but it's not really necessary.

Using one of the functions from here:
http://www.quirksmode.org/viewport/compatibility.html
we could determine how far from the left edge we are (when drawing) and put the element we drew last in a new row once we exceed the width of the textarea. Or can you get the width of a dropdown menu before you put it in a row? Either way is OK. The important thing is that the buttons and dropdowns shouldn't be drawn over the right edge of the textarea. Since the function that outpusts toolbar contents know when this happen there shouldn't be a problem putting another '<br />' in there... smile

#5 2005-02-23 07:20:34

irobotst

We could add a new parameter to manage a single Icon/Dropdown which shows only one Icon/Dropdown from a specific plugin.
A Dropdown gets a Separator(line) to manage several Dropdowns in one and an Icon could have an arrow to dropdown more Icons.
If the Parameter is not set all Dropdowns/Icons will be shown separately. (Or two parameters for Icons and for Dropdowns)
A further parameter could manage that the Dropdowns/Icons of a specific plugin has to be written in a new line or not.
This Parameters could be included in a plugin_init and the programmer could easily change them.

#6 2005-02-23 08:31:07

guillaumed
Xinha Administrator

Hi,

I don't know if it is of any interest, but I have developped a small code to allow menu configuration to increase on demand. I don't like to see all the buttons at start...

I don't know how this idea can help your discussion...

#7 2005-02-24 06:17:35

guillaumed
Xinha Administrator

Hi,

Another point, is that we should be able to define the button image as an international ressource. For example, the bold button, which is a bold B, should be defined as a bold G (gras in french). This is not dificult :

Just adding a table in HTMLArea.I18N, and change the htmlarea.js code (line 445- 450). .. I can do it if someone interested...

A+

#8 2005-02-27 01:18:13

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

guillaumed wrote:

Hi,
Another point, is that we should be able to define the button image as an international ressource. For example, the bold button, which is a bold B, should be defined as a bold G (gras in french). This is not dificult :

Hmm, good point.  I'll have to think how it can be done, considering that the old I18N system is going away.

James Sleeman

#9 2005-02-27 12:18:27

guillaumed
Xinha Administrator

Hi,

Think also that the window size (pop up) should be redefined for language which uses longer words than english..!!

Board footer