Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-02-16 16:44:16

chidera

How do I get started...?

(Well, I accidentally submitted this as a ticket first, you can cancel that if you like.  So, here it is in the forum.  :-))

Hello,

It took me a while to find you guys. HTMLArea was down for ages, then I saw sleemanj, I think, start a fork. Now, IT is "back", but nothing's going on and there are no more threads in their forums, it appears, that had anything to do with the fork.

So, am I in the right place?

If so, I've downloaded the source, uploaded it to my site, and now I'm ready to roll. But, all the docs are old and don't seem like it's what I need.

Where can I find out how to use Xinha?

Thanks,

Travis

#2 2005-02-16 19:46:00

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Re: How do I get started...?

chidera wrote:

If so, I've downloaded the source, uploaded it to my site, and now I'm ready to roll. But, all the docs are old and don't seem like it's what I need.

Hi chidera, you're in the right place.  Xinha is what was formally sleemanj's unofficial fork.

You're correct that the docs are out of date, I'll submit a ticket for that, pehaps somebody here who's not a JS coder could pitch in on that, otherwise I'll do it eventually.  In most ways Xinha will work in the same way as htmlarea works.

The best way to see how to use it at the moment is to look at the examples, specifically examples/stylist.html.

James Sleeman

#3 2005-02-18 04:40:16

dudomann
Website

I've been looking for an open source project to get into for a while now.  This one seems to be a good fit.

I'll see what i can do to convert the documenation over to Xinha. 

~Bobb

#4 2005-02-18 04:52:15

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

dudomann wrote:

I've been looking for an open source project to get into for a while now.  This one seems to be a good fit.

I'll see what i can do to convert the documenation over to Xinha. 

~Bobb

Welcome aboard Bobb!

James Sleeman

#5 2005-02-18 05:07:26

irobotst

Hi Sleeman,
I followed your postings at HTMLArea and I think I should leave HTMLArea now. (I think I'm 'banned' too.)
(Visit my last Post there)
I hope no postings will be deleted here and we can write all together on future versions of Xinha.
I never worked with subversion so what is the best client for windows and where can I get further Information about it.
Another important point for me is that I would like to have a 'manager' of the code completion.
In HTMLArea there were a lot of hints and bugfixes but no one said: "this bugfix from you is now included..." or "Please include this in the code and the forum will test it later..." or "This bugfix is tested and was ok it is now in the main-code..."
I hope you understand me. Its not enough that we can write in the code, there must be someone guiding it not someone who is writing all codes for us (no one could do it on the long run).
I don't want to do it, but I want to point it out here.
You made a new forum here and this is the reason why I would suggest that you guide us here.

#6 2005-02-18 05:24:56

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

irobotst wrote:

I hope no postings will be deleted here and we can write all together on future versions of Xinha.

I'm not a great believe in censorship.  As long as nobody gets abusive towards one another or anything, I care not what you write smile

I never worked with subversion so what is the best client for windows and where can I get further Information about it.

I think the most widely used Windows client is TortiseSVN, it's quite easy to use - http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Perhaps you would be so kind as to write a "quickstart" page in the Wiki about using TortoiseSVN to checkout the subversion source when you have worked it out, link it off the DownloadsPage if you want, feel free to upload a screenshot to better describe the process smile

Other SVN clients are listed at http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html

Another important point for me is that I would like to have a 'manager' of the code completion.

Thats me.  I'm "leading" the effort, however there are a number of developers who I hope will be contributing.  Developers who prove themselves capable and responsible will be given commit access to the subversion repository so they can push thier own changes, and changes submitted by other contributors without my say-so, the list already includes more than me.

In HTMLArea there were a lot of hints and bugfixes but no one said: "this bugfix from you is now included..." or "Please include this in the code and the forum will test it later..." or "This bugfix is tested and was ok it is now in the main-code..."

Thats what the bug tracking ticket system is for.  Any bugs you want fixed, any features you think need be implemented, any patches you have to fix bugs, or add features, anything you need to get the primary developers to see really, it all should be submitted as a New Ticket - http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/newticket

That way we can all keep track of development and people can easily see what has been done, and more importantly, pick a ticket that they can handle to do.  The Trac system (http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/) in general allows you to keep an eye on development process, the "Timeline" feature will give an overview of new things in the Wiki and Subversion Repository (if I had time to dig into the source (in Python) I'd also like to get forum posts in the timeline, who's a Python master here?).

James Sleeman

#7 2005-02-18 06:40:46

irobotst

Perhaps you would be so kind as to write a "quickstart" page in the Wiki about using TortoiseSVN to checkout the subversion source when you have worked it out, link it off the DownloadsPage if you want, feel free to upload a screenshot to better describe the process

I would like to write a quickstart about TortoiseSVN but I'm a german and I learned that one schould only write a helptext in his own language. If you need a german description of TortoiseSVN I will do this after I've made some experineces with this tool.

Last edited by irobotst (2005-02-18 06:43:27)

#8 2005-02-18 22:36:34

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

irobotst wrote:

I would like to write a quickstart about TortoiseSVN but I'm a german and I learned that one schould only write a helptext in his own language. If you need a german description of TortoiseSVN I will do this after I've made some experineces with this tool.

Sounds good to me!  Anything anybody wants to contribute, whatever language, is more than welcome.

James Sleeman

Board footer