Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-02-18 01:07:17

Chris Allison
Xinha Community Member

inline wysiwyg editing

James, thanks for setting up this site, forum and etc.  It looks great.  In my series of e-mails with you, there was one thing that you did not address, because, I assume, you have been very busy.  So, now that this forum is up, I think I will ask the community here and see what everyone's response is.  Here is what I asked James.

Chris Allison wrote:

Are you familar with inline editing?  Mozilla has a flavor
(http://mozile.mozdev.org) and IE has its "contentEditable" tag.  It
has been around for years, so I am not sure why it is not used more
often in CMS applications.  I don't think there is a cross-browser
solution presently, so I have thought about dedicating my support to
that goal.

The full page plugin for htmlArea is actually similar to
inline editing, except I don't believe that you can define different
regions of a page as being editable or non-editable with the full page
plugin.  What is your opinion on inline editing compared to something
like htmlArea?

Thanks

#2 2005-02-18 05:08:14

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Re: inline wysiwyg editing

Hi Chris,

I actually have that as a ticket to be looked at sometime in the future.

http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/ticket/8

I have a feeling, without investigating, that it would be quite a different task than Xinha is currently equipped for (primarily editing an entire chunk of html) and probably out of the scope of the current project.  I do like the concept of "inline editing" though, and it's something Id like to have at my disposal.

You've obviously looked at Mozile in the past, do you know if it shares anything in common with the "Midas" API that we use for htmlarea (which essentially boils down to setting designMode='on' for an iframe with stuff inside and issuing "execCommand" when the user says "bold" etc)?  If it does then my quick off the top of my head idea is that it could work and a useful first step would be to make the one toolbar, and plugins (yikes) set able to handle multiple editing areas.  As for how that could be done I'm not sure.

Ideas anybody?

NB: Somebody suggested having the one-toolbar-controls-all-editors thing to me before, but I don't remember who off the top of my head smile

James Sleeman

#3 2005-02-18 07:30:08

irobotst

Have you ever heard of tinymce (in sourceforge, i've forgotten the url but its easy to find there).
They have an interesting aproach to inline editing.

#4 2005-02-18 22:37:37

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

irobotst wrote:

Have you ever heard of tinymce (in sourceforge, i've forgotten the url but its easy to find there).
They have an interesting aproach to inline editing.

Hmm, it does sound familiar.  I'll hunt it down and have a look later.  Anybody else seen it?

James Sleeman

Board footer