Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-06-01 18:01:47

Aaron Edwards

Has anyone developed a 'Track Changes' feature yet?

...like in MS Word.  Or is there one in another Editor? 

Thanks!

Aaron

#2 2005-06-02 02:50:48

niko
Xinha Authority

Re: Has anyone developed a 'Track Changes' feature yet?

could you please explain waht you mean with "track changes"?

i don't use word big_smile

Niko

#3 2005-06-02 06:50:19

mokhet
Xinha Authority
Website

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trackch … Works.html
http://www.cof.orst.edu/net/software/ms … kchngs.php
http://continuinged.uml.edu/online/tuto … rackingxp/

Microsoft Word 2002 includes features that allow you to track the changes made by multiple users, as well as a review function that allows reviewers to insert their comments within a document. These features are very useful when you are part of a peer group assigned to work on a project together. They also provide a means for instructors to comment on your work. It allows a peer editor or the instructor to keep track of the comments and changes made by various reviewers.

I may have misread but as far i can understand it, it looks like a versioning system inside msword

I dont think it is Xinha goal to implement such thing tongue

#4 2005-06-02 08:37:28

Foxx
Xinha Community Member

you could create such a feature with php or asp, before saving the edited version, compare it with the original version and then for example highlight the changes, although it would be quite an extensive amount of work

#5 2005-06-02 11:31:37

stachrom

take a look at cowiki.

www.cowiki.org

--> collaboration

#6 2005-06-02 13:37:42

niko
Xinha Authority

imho such a feature can't be done with xinha

this would (as foxx said) reqire some other server-side-scripts not related to xinha.

Niko

#7 2005-06-05 07:22:36

kimss
Xinha Pro
Website

This will have to be done by your CMS (server side that is). It would be fairly easy for a CMS to store all old versions of a file, the comparing however would be a little more tricky I would think since Xinha modifies the HTML kode (Atleast in IE it does) so that you get a nice one liner. However this is all besides the point, ask your CMS provider if they can implement such a feature in your current CMS.

#8 2005-07-14 11:34:41

januszjasinski
Xinha Community Member

so this is not possible through the editor then - at all?

i just can't see how it'll work server side using ASP - how do we know what's a change, addition, deletion and how to show it?

Has anyone worked on this at all - I am using ASP. I have 2 versions of the page:

* Live version
* Edited version

I need to compare the two.

Thanks!

#9 2005-07-14 18:54:23

kimss
Xinha Pro
Website

januszjasinski wrote:

so this is not possible through the editor then - at all?

You are asking for one big multipurpose editor. The purpose of Xinha is simple, letting the user have a WYSIWYG representation of the HTML, being able to edit the HTML and do updates. What you are asking for is something that takes places before and after Xinha in a way.

Its been mentioned before, but what you need to do is have a snapshot system, something like winmerge. Take snapshots of the page for each save, and develop a plugin which can fetch an edited sample of the code where you can outline the changes with your own taste. Its not an easy task, so if your a beginner in ASP I wouldnt advice you to start working on it.

But, its highly possible to create such a system. But serverside, since you need a system to keep track off all earlier versions.

#10 2005-07-15 03:56:36

januszjasinski
Xinha Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a current/live version of the page and a archived/newly edited version of the page aswell. I like what they have done at http://www.cowiki.org/2.html?cmd=diffhist&histnode=622n for example - this is pretty much what I would need.

I can see it being done myself but it will take more than just a few days in my opinion.

Thanks anyway.

If anyone would care to help me on this, share the project or indeed have actually done it then do let me know!

Thanks

P.S. Cool editor :-)

#11 2005-07-16 06:25:29

kimss
Xinha Pro
Website

Nice example by the way, this looks very much like something that winmerge will present. What you need is the software that compares the documents, or you will need to create this yourself. For simple checking creating it yourself shouldt be that hard but if you could find an existing system buildt for this this would be the best.

You also get another problem, maby, that is - since we are dealing with HTML kode, will you represent the changes for HTML og WYSIWYG presentation? Meaning, changes in the HTML doesnt need to affect the WYSIWYG, byt changes in the WYSIWYG (doesnt need to be visual) will affect the HTML?

The wiki page you gave link for seems to only be text, which would be the simplest to compare.

A way to go woul be checking out the CVS systems you can install on different servers, all of theese systemes requires the tool you are looking for.

Just some thoughts.

#12 2007-12-05 14:38:19

gkalinec

I've done something very similar in the place I work with that might be what you're looking for.

A little background: I work for a school, and we use xinha in a web app I develop that is used to run the school.  Once of the uses that we have for xinha is to allow students to submit work online.  They use xinha to type whatever paper they need, with all the formatting, tables, etc, and "submit it" electronically to the teacher.  What I added was a small plugin that adds a button and interact with our web app so that the teachers can "grade" the paper.  This is done by highlighting something, clicking on the add comment button (similarly to the track changes comment) and entering a comment.  The comment gets highlighted in xinha and a small "comment" icon is added to the end of the comment, allowing for the teacher to edit and delete the comment.  Furthermore, when the marked up paper is displayed the user can mouse over these comment icons and get a pop up of the comment that the teacher wrote.

Now, you still must use a server side solution to keep all the changes and all the comments.  We do this with php and mysql, but there are other ways of doing this.

If you're interested in something like this, i can post more specific code.

German Kalinec

#13 2007-12-06 09:55:18

guillaumed
Xinha Administrator

Personnaly I use subversion but outside of Xinha...  Dealing with versionning is more than just comparing text...

My three cents..

#14 2008-01-31 12:45:29

jedi58
Xinha Authority
Website

there are track change xhtml tags (del and ins) - if they were used to mark additions and deletions you could easily change styling to show this

David G. Paul
[url]http://www.newearthonline.co.uk[/url]

#15 2011-04-28 05:00:55

lllewelll

i know this is very old/untimely of me... but does anyone have any suggestions for a non-Xinha environments?

working with an xml platform based on MS Word 2007, which does not entegrate with track changes....
but, something of this nature is quite necessary...

any suggestions/hints/links or pointers would be highly appreciated

Richard L. Wilson

Board footer