Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-03-22 00:38:30

willeffects
Xinha Authority

How do I turn off EnterParagraphs plugin

I do not see how/where I can turn off this plugin.  Is it possible?

Thanks

#2 2005-03-22 00:53:02

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Re: How do I turn off EnterParagraphs plugin

willeffects wrote:

I do not see how/where I can turn off this plugin.  Is it possible?

Thanks

in htmlarea.js line 186. Set

this.mozParaHandler = 'built-in';

You can also just pass it in as a config option if you don't want to change the default.

Over here we've noticed that the 'built-in' mode has a nasty habit of eating <br>'s when there are more than one in a row ... but that might be due to our local changes. I haven't had a chance to track it down; but EnterParagraphs has problems also.

Last edited by Yermo (2005-03-22 00:54:40)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#3 2005-03-31 06:23:16

willeffects
Xinha Authority

Im noticing this only stops the double spacing on FF not in IE, do you know that to be the case as well?

#4 2005-03-31 06:42:37

adamp
Xinha Pro

This has been discussed elsewhere, but basically the EnterParagraphs plugin is there to get Firefox working the same way as theIE default - to use paragraphs. In order to stop paragraphs being the default on all browsers, you'd have to write some new RemoveParagraphs plugin that overrides IE's default instead of Firefox's.

There's been discussion however, on how best to handle it for standards and it looks like a solution will be implemented whereby it still uses <p> tags, but adds a css class to remove the line spacing.

None of which is much help to you at the moment sad

#5 2005-03-31 15:58:58

willeffects
Xinha Authority

in the meantime is it possible to display a message above the "Path" status area if you are in ie, that says:  "Use Shift+Enter for one line breaks" ?

How do the rest of you handle this?  Its very frustrating for me, I can't imagine when we try to let our users on it...

Will

#6 2005-03-31 16:08:57

adamp
Xinha Pro

I don't handle it at the moment as I haven't used Xinha on any client sites yet. A quick and dirty solution is to style p tags in both your editor and your site to remove the spacing (margin:0) though you then lose the ability to have paragraphs when you do want them.

#7 2005-03-31 17:20:56

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

willeffects wrote:

in the meantime is it possible to display a message above the "Path" status area if you are in ie, that says:  "Use Shift+Enter for one line breaks" ?

How do the rest of you handle this?  Its very frustrating for me, I can't imagine when we try to let our users on it...

Will

Yea, EnterParagraphs and the whole <p> vs. <br> thing is a real pain. I'm swamped with work at the moment but the next thing on my TODO list is to implement the design gogo and I came up with in where both IE and FF go through EnterParagraphs and we use style sheets for <p> tags to get the correct behavior in all cases.

For my customers, who are using Xinha, this issue has become priority #1.

Hopefully, I'll be able to start on that work next week as part of my upcoming Unified-Backend branch of Xinha.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#8 2005-03-31 23:09:40

willeffects
Xinha Authority

Yermo wrote:
willeffects wrote:

Will

Yea, EnterParagraphs and the whole <p> vs. <br> thing is a real pain. I'm swamped with work at the moment but the next thing on my TODO list is to implement the design gogo and I came up with in where both IE and FF go through EnterParagraphs and we use style sheets for <p> tags to get the correct behavior in all cases.

For my customers, who are using Xinha, this issue has become priority #1.

Hopefully, I'll be able to start on that work next week as part of my upcoming Unified-Backend branch of Xinha.

What is wrong with just making line breaks <br>'s ?  Wouldnt that be a quick fix?

#9 2005-04-01 00:57:07

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

willeffects wrote:

What is wrong with just making line breaks <br>'s ?  Wouldnt that be a quick fix?

That was my initial opinion as well but got talked out of it by alot of voices. Basically the problem with <br>'s if you're trying to do it "right" is that they are not an enclosing tag. (i.e. there's no start and finish tag). This means you can't apply a style to it so you can't have as much control over it from stylesheets.

Ideally the content written with Xinha should be abstracted in such a way that it's presentation can be adjusted with stylesheets. (consider various monitor widths, handheld devices and the like)

So the "correct' thing is to enclose things in <p> tags.

You can get the <br> behavior under FireFox by setting the this.mozParaHandler in htmlarea.js to 'built-in' instead of 'best'. That's what I'm doing in the iCMS subsystem of my MOBIE monstrosity. It works, but it's far from ideal.

So being a stickler for "right" and realizing I've got no choice but to come up to speed alot more on this client side browser stuff I'm going to jump into EnterParagraphs and rework it to my liking. There's another thread on the subject ..

Board footer