Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-03-13 12:56:09

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Trac Problems continue

Grrr, sqlite is really ticking me off. No sooner do I fix it that it breaks again.

I have now cleared out all the sessions from the database, this will mean that everybody should go visit the settings page in trac to set your name and email address again.  And people with trac accounts you may need to login again.

James Sleeman

#2 2005-03-13 14:44:39

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Re: Trac Problems continue

It's broken again.

It's beginning to sound like another solution is in order...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#3 2005-03-14 09:12:03

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Yermo wrote:

It's broken again.

It's beginning to sound like another solution is in order...

I've now upgraded to sqlite3, fingers crossed everybody.

James Sleeman

#4 2005-03-15 16:34:10

niko
Xinha Authority

sorry, but:
http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/report/1
Report failed: database disk image is malformed

don't know whats wrong this time....

Niko

#5 2005-03-15 16:54:53

dlst
Xinha Community Member

Is it a problem with the host?  I'm willing to vonlunteer free services of various kinds if that helps.

#6 2005-03-19 00:53:15

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

dlst wrote:

Is it a problem with the host?  I'm willing to vonlunteer free services of various kinds if that helps.

No it's not a problem with the host, seeing as it's hosted on my workstation until I can figure out the problem.  I dont' know why it's doing it, basically two of the tables in the sqlite database get corrupt for some unknown reason, this brings the system partially to it's knees.  Sometimes the entire database gets b0rked.

I initially thought the root cause was the BDB SQL repository was getting locked up, so I changed to FSFS.  Helped a little.

So I thought an upgrade of trac might be in order, so I did but it didn't make any difference.

So then I thought it might be sqlite2 was the problem so I upgraded to sqlite3 which helped a lot, but still didn't cure it, just reduced the frequency.

There is a PostgreSQL "backend" for trac, but it's not official and would require patching trac each time an upgrade comes through, I want to avoid that.  However  edgewall is working on database independance for trac, so hopefully we can soon move to either MySQL or PostgreSQL.

I've written a script now so I can quickly fix the primary problem, and I'll shortly write one to try and automate the process so that every x minutes it will check the db for corruption and fix it.  At least that should keep things running until something better happens.

In so far as hosting goes, the requirements area at
http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/wiki/TracInstall

James Sleeman

#7 2005-03-19 09:42:26

niko
Xinha Authority

surfing to http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/cgi-bin/trac.cgi pops up an Authorization - dialog!!

Enter username for Xinha - Track on xinha.goog.co.nz

and i don't have an account!

something seems to be very wrong sad sad

Niko

#8 2005-03-19 09:48:36

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Sorry, my bad, was trying to get it running under mod_python, only to discover it doesn't work using mod_python on apache 1.x, only 2.x.  I didn't put things back quite right smile  Fixed now.

James Sleeman

#9 2005-03-21 04:13:18

niko
Xinha Authority

I've written a script now so I can quickly fix the primary problem, and I'll shortly write one to try and automate the process so that every x minutes it will check the db for corruption and fix it.  At least that should keep things running until something better happens.

this doesn't sound like a solution, more a workaround or hack or whatever.... but if it keeps things running...
imho you could need a real server - not your workstation big_smile

Sorry, my bad, was trying to get it running under mod_python, only to discover it doesn't work using mod_python on apache 1.x, only 2.x.  I didn't put things back quite right   Fixed now.

tanks...

Niko

#10 2005-03-21 05:46:29

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

niko wrote:

this doesn't sound like a solution, more a workaround or hack or whatever.... but if it keeps things running...
imho you could need a real server - not your workstation big_smile

A virtual private server would be best I think given that we need to run svn on it (either through ssh, svnserve or apache2, apache2 is probably best).  Anybody want to stump up the cash, and the time to administer it?  Perhaps we could find some kindly VPS providor to give a worthy open source project one for free wink

That said, my workstation is a Debian ("unstable" but it's never a problem) 1.2ghz machine with a gig of ram and a gig of swap, it should be pretty happy running it - I don't know why it's not.

James Sleeman

#11 2005-03-21 19:46:27

Wei

VPS can be quite slow, it is fun to play with, but serving this site will be slow I think. The problem is the ram, and/or cpu power, they are most likely allocated.

Wei.

#12 2005-03-22 01:17:43

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Wei wrote:

VPS can be quite slow, it is fun to play with, but serving this site will be slow I think. The problem is the ram, and/or cpu power, they are most likely allocated.

Wei.

We don't need that many resources actually, it's just the fact that we need to install subversion (and have it thusly open on ports) and python, and ... otherwise it would be fine even on a shared host (and I'd host it myself in that case), we don't have huge traffic, or CPU use or memory use.  Yet.

James Sleeman

Board footer