Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-04-05 18:10:16

Chris Allison
Xinha Community Member

What should Xinha do while it is loading?

Have any of you all had problems with your users getting confused with seeing the HTML view while Xinha is loading?  This can be an even bigger problem for dial-up users.  I currently notice that the problem occurs for the nightly version, but does not occur for the stable version.  The problem seems to occur for both IE and Firefox.  Is there an easy hack/workaround?  Should I create a ticket for a long term solution in Xinha?

I am currently using an old version of HTMLArea.  A while back, we tried upgrading to HTMLArea RC3, and this problem made us revert back to using the old version of HTMLArea.

Thanks

#2 2005-04-05 19:27:54

kimss
Xinha Pro
Website

Re: What should Xinha do while it is loading?

I remember on htmlArea I just did a quick and dirty move. I surrounded the textarea with a div which I set to hidden, and another div which had some nice HTML with some please wait... graphics. Then I altered the .js file where htmlArea initializes to swith the layers from hidden to visible and visa verca.

This worked fine on my win2000 IE 6 machine, and in Mozilla. But I got comments from several customers that the area never showd at all. Meaning, different OS and IE versions couldnt be trusted. So I swithed to a large layer, typical 1000px height, at the top of the page with please wait while loading text, and when htmlArea initialized this layer was turned of. Same problem, some customers this didnt work for.

What am I saying here? In my opinion the best way would be to completely hide the textarea, substitute it with a image or something (Some nice gfx) which are switched when the textarea is loaded. However i couldt get this to work for all my customers so I abbandoned the idea. Its hard to debug problems you cant experience yourself...

#3 2005-04-05 20:36:39

willeffects
Xinha Authority

I was just wondering how we could do a "please wait" or "loading editor" like this does:
http://www.wysiwygpro.com/demos/demo2.php

We have a page where it loads 5 editors and things get a bit slow loading, so would like to find a solution as well.  I was thinking the something similar, just a div that pops itself up on browser load, centered to the browser's width/height saying "please wait" and having the last line of xinha config hide it. 

Will

Last edited by willeffects (2005-04-05 20:37:14)

#4 2005-04-06 00:52:48

guillaumed
Xinha Administrator

Interesting...

#5 2005-04-06 00:59:18

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Mmm, I guess we could do something like that.  Somebody submit a feature request ticket, if anybody cares to make a patch please attach to the feature request.

James Sleeman

Board footer