Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-04-04 03:25:15

niko
Xinha Authority

Feedback on failure (Linker + i18n (new))

as i have now a svn-account i would like to checkin these patches:
http://xinha.python-hosting.com/ticket/98
http://xinha.python-hosting.com/ticket/99

but bevore that i would like to discuss the feedback on failure here:
in #99, should the Linker-plugin display a alert-box, or is it enough to display the error-message in the tree?
(imho the alert-box isn't needed...)

and for the #98 (new-i18n-system) - what should happen if a language-file contains a parse-error?
Should we show a alert-box? (i don't know any other place to display the error) - otherwise we could just ignore the error and fall back to english.

so, plese give me some feedback on that...

Niko

#2 2005-04-04 07:29:08

mokhet
Xinha Authority
Website

Re: Feedback on failure (Linker + i18n (new))

niko wrote:

in #99, should the Linker-plugin display a alert-box, or is it enough to display the error-message in the tree?
(imho the alert-box isn't needed...)

I agree, the alert box is not needed at all. i dont like it, my customers dont like it and after reading the forums, it seems everyone want to turn actual alert box to inline panel (color chooser, etc.)

niko wrote:

and for the #98 (new-i18n-system) - what should happen if a language-file contains a parse-error?
Should we show a alert-box? (i don't know any other place to display the error) - otherwise we could just ignore the error and fall back to english.

Humm, the fall back to english is a great solution but sounds a bit of pain for no real benefits in this situation, because, humm, why the language file would contain any parse error ?

If there is a parse error in this file, then it's not xinha to correct it, it should be a community goal to keep them error free.

In an other case, when the language file is correct but not up to date with english version, then it would be great to fallback to english for missing entrys but not an annoying dialog box please.

#3 2005-04-04 07:56:29

niko
Xinha Authority

the language-file is a javascript-file that will be parsed using the eval-function. and there could be errors in the file when somebody translates the file and makes a mistake...
THEN (and only then) a alert-box will popup saying that there is a parse-error in the language-file.

when the file has a missing entry the english-version will be used - without dialog-box and everything...

Niko

#4 2005-04-04 08:47:13

niko
Xinha Authority

Niko

#5 2005-04-04 10:06:08

mokhet
Xinha Authority
Website

hi, in ticket 98 you asked me to wait for future translation, but i already have the files, so i created a ticket #118 and attached all missing files for fr version. If any updates in the structure of the files are needed, of course i'll submit updated files more acurate with .

http://xinha.python-hosting.com/ticket/118

#6 2005-04-04 14:47:32

niko
Xinha Authority

i commited them... wasn't too much work big_smile

Niko

#7 2005-04-04 15:08:17

mokhet
Xinha Authority
Website

tongue yeah, what i though. Instead of keeping them in local version, better have them on repository even with updates incoming, and some words and sentences could probably be tweaked out.

Board footer