Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#26 2005-03-18 03:39:19

niko
Xinha Authority

Re: ImageManager?

1. Support for other files (pdf, zip, doc...) like EFM has it
    (one button to insert an image, one button to insert a link to a zip)
2. support for thumbnail-with-popup-images
    somebody did allready something for that:
    http://www.franzweb.net/CmsTest/dialogs/editor.php
    (very butty, but the concept is great!!)
3. rename and move images/files

and another wish:
it would be nice to have only ONE version of the ImageManager (or EFM) - not 10 different every with different features...

i don't know if a extension mechanism would be possible... but it would be very nice of course.
(a very small core and features added as extensions...)

Niko

#27 2005-03-18 04:56:53

guenole
Website

Hello *

I'm ok with You. An upload file manager is a great idea. But why mix Image manipulation and File uploading ?
For my example, when i upload a file, i don't put it on my server, i insert it in a mysql database (for different reasons, security, backup, etc...)
Insert Image from a website (the image button) is good...
Insert Image with uploading on my server is good too...

Can we imagine to browse file, create a input type=file (with javascript, i'm not a master...) and upload it on server via the form method=post with different name (examples : file_upload_1, file_upload_2, file_upload_n) ? With this method, we can do what we want with these files !

I hope you understand what i try to explain... Javascript is not my "preferred" language, but i you want samples in PHP, just ask me :-)

#28 2005-03-18 06:07:30

adamp
Xinha Pro

On the permissions front, it should be possible to pass in an array of permissions follwoing the structure of the filesystem, along the lines of:

Array ( [0] => Array ( [/] => 7 [0] => Array ( [somedir] => 7 [0] => Array ( [somefile] => 7 ) [1] => Array ( [somefile2] => 7 ) [2] => Array ( [somefile3] => 7 ) ) [1] => Array ( [somefile] => 4 ) ) )

Hopefully people get the idea from the above, but basically you have a multi-dimensional array representing the filesystem where each file has a value attached to it that's the same as a linux permission (read/write/execute). Execute is obsolete for the purposes of ImageManager, but it doesn't hurt to have it in case someone finds a use for it.

When ImageManager then wants to display/move/whatever a file it can refer to the permissions array. For example, it only displays a file if the file's permission bit-matches with 4.

With a simple defined input like an array of names and numbers, people should fairly easily be able to input their own permissions to the ImageManager.

#29 2005-03-18 20:06:51

dlst
Xinha Community Member

My .02 cents:

I speak only for myself, but I don't think permissions should be the responsibility of an editor.  My application already handles permissions through a number of steps, and it's in the best position to do so.  Unless the permission system were extremely easy to completely turn off, I'd personally rather not see any time devoted to it.

#30 2005-03-18 21:21:47

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

dlst wrote:

My .02 cents:

I speak only for myself, but I don't think permissions should be the responsibility of an editor.  My application already handles permissions through a number of steps, and it's in the best position to do so.  Unless the permission system were extremely easy to completely turn off, I'd personally rather not see any time devoted to it.

But you have to have a method by which the edit/delete/move permissions can be communicated through to the editor ... you have to know whether or not the current user is allowed to have the trashcan icon for a given graphic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#31 2005-03-19 02:10:22

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Foxx wrote:

Since this is not meant to be a spam post, I will not post the url. Contact me if you want more details.

We're not competing with anybody, feel free to post the URL to the editor if it does something better (or worse wink) than Xinha so we can learn from it smile

James Sleeman

#32 2005-03-20 22:06:35

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

gogo wrote:

Hi Yermo, feel free to include any (preferably working wink) plugins you want in the plugins directory, just make sure there is a README or something to show what's required to run them, and then add to the example (mostly you should be able to just add a new checkbox to the example menu and it will work).

It took me a while but it's done. A modified version of Wei's ImageManager has been checked in and the full_example.html has been modified with a checkbox for the ImageManager.

There is a README.txt. I've set it up so that hopefully for the majority of people "it will just work'.

Users may have to tweak the "images_url" config setting in config.inc.php if they did not unpack Xinha in the DOCUMENT_ROOT. Along with this there is a similar config option in image-manager.js. (I didn't come up with a good way of communicating some of the config settings between image-manager.js and the backend code. Either image-manager.js needs to be dynamically generated or the calling page needs to pass the values in ... so for the example the default values happen to "just work".)

This plugin features an example of what I call the Unified Backend approach. Instead of using a separate URL for each request all requests from the ImageManager (and there are /many/) to the server go through a single entry point, backend.php. Backend.php expects at least two argument:

plugin=ImageManager    for future expansion
f=(function)    where function is the function being requested.

Backend.php then routes the function request to the right include file.

Having this single entry point approach should make this much easier to maintain; at least it'll make my life significantly easier.

It should now be possible to write a drop in replacement for the backend in Perl, Python, ASP, whatever without having to modify any of the client code.

There's still alot of work to do. ImageManager desperately needs a rewrite; but for the moment this seems to work.

I tested it under FireFox and MSIE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#33 2005-03-21 00:49:14

Wei

Yermo, execellent, i will check it out. May be we can have a discussion on how to proceed with the rewrite?

Cheers, Wei.

#34 2005-03-21 00:54:37

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Yermo wrote:
gogo wrote:

Hi Yermo, feel free to include any (preferably working wink) plugins you want in the plugins directory, just make sure there is a README or something to show what's required to run them, and then add to the example (mostly you should be able to just add a new checkbox to the example menu and it will work).

It took me a while but it's done. A modified version of Wei's ImageManager has been checked in and the full_example.html has been modified with a checkbox for the ImageManager.

There is a README.txt. I've set it up so that hopefully for the majority of people "it will just work'.

Users may have to tweak the "images_url" config setting in config.inc.php if they did not unpack Xinha in the DOCUMENT_ROOT.

Unfortunatly, that probably means it's not going to  work from the examples page here.  Is there any way of making it use _editor_url?

James Sleeman

#35 2005-03-21 00:58:35

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Wei wrote:

Yermo, execellent, i will check it out. May be we can have a discussion on how to proceed with the rewrite?

Cheers, Wei.

Absolutely.

#36 2005-03-21 01:40:20

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

gogo wrote:

Unfortunatly, that probably means it's not going to  work from the examples page here.  Is there any way of making it use _editor_url?

image-manager.js default config updated and committed. images-url config option now relative to _editor_url by default.

Unfortunately, since there is no communication between image-manager.js and config.inc.php, the images_url in config.inc.php will still need to be set by hand if Xinha is not installed under DOCUMENT_ROOT/xinha.

I'll have to look at it some more when I get a chance.

#37 2005-03-21 05:17:58

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Yermo wrote:
gogo wrote:

image-manager.js default config updated and committed. images-url config option now relative to _editor_url by default.

Unfortunately, since there is no communication between image-manager.js and config.inc.php, the images_url in config.inc.php will still need to be set by hand if Xinha is not installed under DOCUMENT_ROOT/xinha.

I'll have to look at it some more when I get a chance.

Could you not do something with $PHP_SELF to work out where it's installed?

James Sleeman

#38 2005-03-21 05:56:25

adamp
Xinha Pro

Yep, could do something along the lines of:

$path = str_replace("/config.inc.php", "", $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); // set to specific path if required

#39 2005-03-21 06:42:17

niko
Xinha Authority

Wei wrote:

could somebody open a wiki-page for discussion on new ImageManager and the features/whishes....

Niko

#40 2005-03-21 08:41:48

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

niko wrote:
Wei wrote:

could somebody open a wiki-page for discussion on new ImageManager and the features/whishes....

Unfortunatly because it keeps getting vandalised we can't have the wiki open to all.

I could maybe, possibly, perhaps open it to all members who are subscribed to the forum, by way of making the trac authentication use punbb's member information (actually, get apache to use it, trac leaves auth up to apache).

I'll look into it.

James Sleeman

#41 2005-03-21 09:38:08

adamp
Xinha Pro

That or just create a sub-forum here for development discussion?

#42 2005-03-21 13:49:50

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

gogo wrote:
Yermo wrote:

Could you not do something with $PHP_SELF to work out where it's installed?

(smacks self on head with hand producing a hollow empty sound)

version 48 submitted. config.inc.php now figures out the install directory using PHP_SELF. This will at least make it work in the "default demo case". Users will still need to update the config if they want to move the directory elsewhere.

I also went ahead and changed plugin= to __plugin= and f= to __function= per your suggestions.

#43 2005-03-21 18:29:48

dlst
Xinha Community Member

Yermo wrote:
dlst wrote:

My .02 cents:

But you have to have a method by which the edit/delete/move permissions can be communicated through to the editor ... you have to know whether or not the current user is allowed to have the trashcan icon for a given graphic.

Well, in my case I limit users to a particular "home" directory (like the way FTP works), so it's a moot point.  If they can see the file, they can do whatever they want to it.

But I certainly see your point, and you're absolutely right.  In a different architecture, it would be completely necessary.

#44 2005-03-22 04:39:21

adamp
Xinha Pro

All that's needed is to have the permissions by default filter down as read/write accessible from the 'root' given to the script by default. That way people who don't want permissions don't have to do anything other than set a path, while those who do can set/write a script to set the array of permissions.

#45 2005-03-23 01:08:30

mmcw

at http://www.alfmiti.net/demo/tinyRTE_demo.htm they use a updated version of the Image Manager with maybe some nice extra new futures. Maybe you should take some time to look in it?

#46 2005-03-23 18:55:26

PeteBest
Xinha Community Member

What is really quite interesting about that tinyRTE is that it looks like gecko and IE functions are split across 2 files. Wasn't that the ultimate plan for Xinha? Might be a good idea to see how they've done it

#47 2005-03-25 07:19:16

marco76tv
Xinha Community Member

you can download my plugins from
www.progettoturismo.com/plugin.rar

Board footer