Announcement

Do not use the forums to submit bug reports, feature requests or patches, submit a New Ticket instead.

#1 2005-03-08 20:04:38

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

ImageManager?

(was message about Wei's Image Manager)

Does anyone have a source for the ExtendedFileManager? I've been using Wei's ImageManager and would like to see one or the other included in the Xinha distribution.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Yermo (2005-03-08 20:46:56)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#2 2005-03-09 16:35:03

adam2003w
Xinha Community Member
Website

Re: ImageManager?

I don't think image manager or the extended file manager will ever be included in the Xinha distribution. I read some where on this site that they were going to keep Xinha unbaised towards php or asp or .net or whatever. This means that plugins will not be included for distribution that use php or asp. Both the Image and Extended File Managers use php to manipulate files, so they probably won't be included.

Good news is that tons of people around here have these other plugins. I shot you an email. Email me back and I'll send you the EFM zip file. I'm also setting up a site ( http://www.htmlareaforum.com ) to keep track of all this code before it gets lost between the cracks.

site [url]www.paradigmprint.com[/url]

#3 2005-03-09 21:17:47

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

adam2003w wrote:

I don't think image manager or the extended file manager will ever be included in the Xinha distribution. I read some where on this site that they were going to keep Xinha unbaised towards php or asp or .net or whatever. This means that plugins will not be included for distribution that use php or asp. Both the Image and Extended File Managers use php to manipulate files, so they probably won't be included.

Good news is that tons of people around here have these other plugins. I shot you an email. Email me back and I'll send you the EFM zip file. I'm also setting up a site ( http://www.htmlareaforum.com ) to keep track of all this code before it gets lost between the cracks.

I believe that was HTMLArea. Xinha already has a some included plugins that have PHP backends including Linker and Spellchecker.

Chances are your email got filtered out since you're not in my white list. http://www.yml.com/Contact_Yermo.html is a good way to get on my white list. Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Content Management with Business Intelligence      [url]http://www.formvista.com[/url]

#4 2005-03-09 23:39:01

adam2003w
Xinha Community Member
Website

sent an email to your form. email me if you want the EFM.

#5 2005-03-10 02:22:18

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Yermo wrote:

(was message about Wei's Image Manager)

Does anyone have a source for the ExtendedFileManager? I've been using Wei's ImageManager and would like to see one or the other included in the Xinha distribution.

Thoughts?

Hi Yermo, feel free to include any (preferably working wink) plugins you want in the plugins directory, just make sure there is a README or something to show what's required to run them, and then add to the example (mostly you should be able to just add a new checkbox to the example menu and it will work).

James Sleeman

#6 2005-03-10 02:25:25

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Along the same vein, it will probably be a good idea in addition to the current complete package to make a 'core' package of Xinha which doesn't include plugins, and seperately package each plugin, to save download time for those who don't want all the plugins.

Don't forget the trac page for plugins - http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/Plugins

James Sleeman

#7 2005-03-10 02:47:40

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

gogo wrote:

Along the same vein, it will probably be a good idea in addition to the current complete package to make a 'core' package of Xinha which doesn't include plugins, and seperately package each plugin, to save download time for those who don't want all the plugins.

Don't forget the trac page for plugins - http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/Plugins

yea, that's a good idea. I can even see a "More Plugins" tab from the about box to list out available plugins that you don't have installed.

I think ImageManager or ExtendedFileManager would make a good addition. I use ImageManager everywhere (well, a heavily hacked version.)

This raises a separate point with regard to communication between the client and the server side. In my project, a novel XML based component framework that does unholy and unnatural things to web application development, I end up intercepting and routing all server requests myself .. which means I have to heavily hack things like ImageManager to change all the links back to the site; changing them from _editor_url + /some/plugins/file.php to /some_fake_url_in_my_system?callback=some_callback.

Every time a new version comes out I go through this painful re-integration phase where I separate out _editor_url and add a _callback_url .. changing each unique URL to some separate command.

Intergrating something like Linker is a snap because it has the single backend callback.

It would be extremely cool to standardize all Xinha plugins to use a setup similar to how you have Linker set up, with the one backend callback URL that is separated out from _editor_url (_server_callback_url?) so we have some more flexibility in how server requests are routed.

Would this kind of separation be of interest to anyone else?

-- Yermo

#8 2005-03-10 04:18:30

gogo
Xinha Leader
Website

Yermo wrote:

Would this kind of separation be of interest to anyone else?

Absolutely a good idea, as a config variable naturally

Config.<plugin>.whatever

Feel free smile

James Sleeman

#9 2005-03-10 11:59:02

adam2003w
Xinha Community Member
Website

all three options would be cool:

1. Xinha Core Download
2. Xinha Loaded Download (Core + All Plugins)
3. Xinha Plugins Download (Each Plugin is a separate download showing the date beside each one for updated files)

#10 2005-03-10 16:01:44

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

adam2003w wrote:

sent an email to your form. email me if you want the EFM.

I shot you an email. EFM looks good. I'm noticing an issue over here with thumbnails aspect ratio not being maintained. ImageManager, by comparison, keeps the aspect ratio. Might be my error.

For what I'm doing, I need to coalesce all backend calls into a single URL which can be set from a config option. I'd like to hack on EFM a bit, get that to work and then check it into Xinha.

Having a single backend call, instead of multiple separate ones, will make all of these plugins much easier to integrate into more complicated systems.

#11 2005-03-10 17:06:59

adam2003w
Xinha Community Member
Website

I've heard that the EFM is being worked on, will be updated and can currently be integrated into either HtmlArea or Xinha.

#12 2005-03-10 17:40:15

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

adam2003w wrote:

I've heard that the EFM is being worked on, will be updated and can currently be integrated into either HtmlArea or Xinha.

I guess I'll hold off hacking on it until it stabilizes.

#13 2005-03-16 19:23:28

Wei

Hi all,

Nice to see the editor is doing some updates, looking promising.

I would be interested to re-write imagemanger again for Xinha (this would be a 3rd rewrite). But I am unsure of the intended target for the code: write a flexiable system for the developer or write a near fool proof for the non-developers? Because setting up the image library seems to be tricky for some, and then there are problems with directory permissions and all.

Also, any new feature requests?

What is the ExtendedFileManager?

Cheers, Wei.

#14 2005-03-16 20:05:23

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Wei wrote:

Hi all,

Nice to see the editor is doing some updates, looking promising.

I would be interested to re-write imagemanger again for Xinha (this would be a 3rd rewrite). But I am unsure of the intended target for the code: write a flexiable system for the developer or write a near fool proof for the non-developers? Because setting up the image library seems to be tricky for some, and then there are problems with directory permissions and all.

Cheers, Wei.

I think, in this context, programmer flexibility is key .. they can then package it up for an application and make it end-user foolproof. Xinha is not an end-user applications ... it and all of it's plugins are merely a single component in a larger solution which others put together ... so focus on the programmers.

I've actually been working on your ImageManager code to re-organize the client to server communications. It would be /awesome/ if it would use a single backend script that is passed query variable commands instead of using the separate scripts.

The format I've been using has been /some/directory/plugins/ImageManager/backend.php?plugin=ImageManager&p=function

where function is, right now, kludged to be:

manager.php
editorFrame.php
etc.

Then I'm including the various backend files accordingly.

Ideally you'd be able to set the unified backend script to use via a config variable when the plugin is loaded, That would give people, like me, the flexibility to intercept calls to the backend and route them (in my case I have a component framework that has to intercept all those calls and route them ... so every time I get a new version of ImageManager I have to go through and manually modify all the links back to the server ... a pain.)

So if you could add a

HTMLArea.Config.prototype.ImageManager object similar to how the Linker plugin is set up it would make it much easier to override the backend script to use.

I was just about to do another update and check the current ImageManager in; however if you're going to rewrite it I'll hold off.

let me know.

#15 2005-03-16 20:54:17

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Wei wrote:

Cheers, Wei.

An approach on the server side to associate an upload with the individual who uploaded it ... so that users can only delete/edit images they upload.

I'm imaginging the server side would be responsible for setting the current user, probably via the included Config file which is edited anyway. Logic could be added there to pull the current user from a cookie or whatever.

#16 2005-03-17 03:02:21

niko
Xinha Authority

Wei wrote:

EFM is based on your ImageManger and has big improvements.
It was done by Afru - but is not yet completed and i didn't her something from afru since two weeks sad so i don't know the status of the EFM.

you might look at the discussion we had on htmlarea.com:
http://www.htmlarea.com/forum/htmlArea_ … le_P38041/

the new features:
* Easy config.inc file that enables individual options for both modes.
* Thumnail View
* List View
* Nice icons for both views
* Create Folders
* Vertical Scrolling
* Allowed extensions to view or upload.
* File Uploads
* Max File upload limit
* Max Upload Folder size (Including all subfolders and files. A must see option.)
* Dynamic display of available free space in the Upload Folder
* Dynamic Thumbnails using Image libraries or browser resize
* Image Editor (Actually done by Wei...a great addon)
* Can be used to insert images along with properties.
* Can be used to insert link to non-image files like pdf or zip.

the most important imho are the last two points!

i do have a beta-version of the EFM, i can send it to you if you want (just send me an email)

greets
niko

Niko

#17 2005-03-17 05:25:31

niko
Xinha Authority

take a look at this thread too:
http://xinha.gogo.co.nz/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=30

(i posted an email from afru there too...)

Niko

#18 2005-03-17 06:07:34

Wei

Aaah, by the looks of it, there are many extensions to the imagemanager done by Afru.

*Can be used to insert images along with properties.

what is that?

This brings a different problem, a rewrite or keep extending the existing source (the user function stays similar, but with each rewrite, the back gets changes alot)?

It does take alot of time either way.

Wei.

#19 2005-03-17 08:09:25

niko
Xinha Authority

Wei wrote:

*Can be used to insert images along with properties.

hmm.... i think this is nothing new, its how ImageManager lets you define the properties for the image....
so only the last point is important one (i didn't completely read it big_smile)

Wei wrote:

This brings a different problem, a rewrite or keep extending the existing source (the user function stays similar, but with each rewrite, the back gets changes alot)?

what do you plan to implement?
i think it mainly depends on that!

niko

Niko

#20 2005-03-17 08:24:46

adamp
Xinha Pro

I'd love a copy of EFM if you could send it to me (adam at iwdev . net).
Has Afru asked people not to host it for download anywhere as it seems a lot of hassle to keep emailing it out to people that want it?

#21 2005-03-17 10:56:51

niko
Xinha Authority

i sent you my copy...
i think you can host it somewhere and post a link here... afru didn't say anything against it... and its open source.. so it can't be a problem big_smile

but this version is unfinished and buggy.... i think thats the reason why it isn't hosted anywhere...

Niko

#22 2005-03-17 11:23:47

adamp
Xinha Pro

Thanks niko, I'll probably check it out sometime tonight and then put it up for download somewhere.

#23 2005-03-17 11:52:31

Foxx
Xinha Community Member

I don't mean to spam or anything, but the improvements some are suggesting for the image manager are already available in another WYSIWYG editor, which is also open-source (works with mozilla/IE/etc, has all the same features and more). Since this is not meant to be a spam post, I will not post the url. Contact me if you want more details.

However, I have been using HTMLArea 2 for some time, also using Wei's image manager, and so far it has done the job, but I guess rather sooner than later I will have to upgrade to a new version which is Mozilla compatible. My personal preference for Wei's image manager would be to rewrite it from scratch, and the suggestion to use the same function calls everywhere seems like a good idea. Maybe also make use of classes? If I recall correctly, the old version of image manager didn't use classes, I could be wrong though.. smile

#24 2005-03-17 19:58:27

Wei

Yeah, would be good to see other imagemangers, please send me the details via email.

Version 1 of the image manager used no classes, works with htmlarea 2. The version for htmlarea3 uses classes and the image editor was added.

Version 3? Seems like it is going to be more flexiable, still unsure of how to do it.

Yermo, please commit your updates. Would also like to discuss what might need to be done to be more flexiable if you have time.

Since there are works done wonderfully by many others, how should the this side project move forward?

There are a few things to add to the image manager that I have yet to see:

1) move a selection of files (from any directory) to any other directory (this was implemented but was not released)
2) provide an easy way to integrate user permissions
3) allow other attributes in the image, such as css class names (may be this is "Can be used to insert images along with properties."?)
4) And search (by filename, image sizes, dates, file types)

Are these ideas good or bad?

I think number 2 is important, the others are more features.

Cheers, Wei.

#25 2005-03-17 20:11:44

Yermo
Xinha Authority
Website

Wei wrote:

Yermo, please commit your updates. Would also like to discuss what might need to be done to be more flexiable if you have time.

I would be very interested to discuss how this can be done in a more flexible fashion.

I'm in the middle of a deadline so it'll be a couple of days before I can back-port my changes into the standard xinha distribution.

Wei wrote:

1) move a selection of files (from any directory) to any other directory (this was implemented but was not released)

this one only makes sense if integrated with item (2) below. Otherwise you open a serious security hole.

Wei wrote:

2) provide an easy way to integrate user permissions
3) allow other attributes in the image, such as css class names (may be this is "Can be used to insert images along with properties."?)
4) And search (by filename, image sizes, dates, file types)

Are these ideas good or bad?

I think number 2 is important, the others are more features.

Cheers, Wei.

Agreed. Item 2 is probably the most important. Ideally it would be nice since there are so many feature possibilities to create some kind of extension mechanism for the imagemanager. Maybe model it after the Xinha main plugin system, otherwise you might end up creating a monolithic plugin that brings in too much code for the average case.

-- Yermo

Board footer